[plug] Outlook with IMAP

Phillip Bennett phillip at mve.com
Thu May 24 16:59:45 WST 2007

Hi all,

I have recently replaced our company's email server, upgrading from sendmail
and ilohamail to postfix and dovecot.  This gives us the better features of
IMAP and the use of squirrelmail for webmail.

The problem, however, is Outlook.  Some people in our company are now
complaining because Outlook takes so long to start up in the morning and
after reboots.  Basically, it hangs for a minute or three on startup like
it's looking for something...  I've tried Thunderbird and Outlook express
and both of these are extremely fast for IMAP access so I don't think it's
the server.  Has anyone got any ideas about what this could be, or how I
could go about speeding it up?  Am I destined to switch everyone back to
pop3 access and make it 'like it used to be' to stop them whinging?

And, I can't get rid of outlook.  Our CRM program (Maximizer) is HEAVILY
tied to outlook.  Can't even switch to OE, as it doesn't work properly with
the CRM.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Phil.