[plug] (X)Ubuntu, older hardware (WAS: What version of CPU and Linux do people use?)

Joshua Chase joshych at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 26 09:58:49 WST 2007

Should work, as I have got a machine which used to be as below:
64-meg of ram
366 celeron
S3 Trio3d graphics
RHEL3 with GNOME and KDE
This configuration ran fine.

Timothy White <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote: On 5/14/07, Gregory Orange  wrote:
> James L. Clarke wrote:
> > Here are the ones I'm currently using:-
> >
> > Ubuntu 6.10 i386 on a Pentium 4
> > Ubuntu 5.10 Server i386 on a Pentium 1/166(yes I'm still using a very old
> > machine for my experimental server)
>
> I've got an old P2 Toshiba laptop (300MHz I think) with 64MB RAM which
> needs an OS reinstall coz the Win98 is full of junk. I am considering
> Xubuntu, any recommendations on the viability of this? What sort of
> (open?)office experience should I expect?

I would try and find another 64mb, and dump Xubuntu on it. That would
compare to one of the machines I used to run. For office, if it's just
basic stuff, go with Abiword and Gnumeric. OO.org will need a heap
more grunt and RAM unfortunately.

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956