[plug] Debian install

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Mon May 28 16:57:57 WST 2007

Daniel Foote wrote:
> Hello.
>
>> If I do just a base (no GUI) install of Debian 4 (Etch) and then execute
>> apt-get install kde, will/should that automagically install X for me too?
>
> Nope, selecting kde will not install X for you as well. The reason for
> this is that you can run these applications remotely - which doesn't
> require an X server on the server - and thus the separated
> dependencies.
>
> Instead, install the "xorg" package alongside "kde" - and that will
> install all that you need to make X work. Installing "kdm" or "gdm" as
> well will give you a login manager to boot. You probably want "kdm" to
> go with KDE.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanx for that Daniel.  I'll put in a spare hard drive and have a play
with it tonight.

One supplementary if I may, is there any special order in which I should
install the 3 packages (kde, kdm and xorg)?

Tia
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!