[plug] Debian install

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Mon May 28 16:39:10 WST 2007

Hello.

> If I do just a base (no GUI) install of Debian 4 (Etch) and then execute
> apt-get install kde, will/should that automagically install X for me too?

Nope, selecting kde will not install X for you as well. The reason for
this is that you can run these applications remotely - which doesn't
require an X server on the server - and thus the separated
dependencies.

Instead, install the "xorg" package alongside "kde" - and that will
install all that you need to make X work. Installing "kdm" or "gdm" as
well will give you a login manager to boot. You probably want "kdm" to
go with KDE.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Foote.