[plug] reset nVidia card to factory defaults??

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Nov 21 22:59:39 WST 2007

On 21 Nov 2007 at 21:29, Denis Brown wrote:

> Hello PLUG list members.
>
> Sorry in advance for the length of this post but I figure the more info
> up-front the better in such cases.
>
> While setting up Xgl on openSuSE 10.3 with nVidia 8500GT card today I
> appear to have put the card into a state where only the Linux OS can
> communicate with it.    At power on for example, there is no evidence
of
> video being generated hence the POST screen and BIOS setup are
invisible
> :-(
>
> I would like to reset the card back to factory defaults (apart from
> knowing what caused it to get so distressed!)

8<----------------- snip ------------------->8

Would it be possible ???

Put the card in another machine - but as a secondary graphics adapter.

And then run whatever utiltities are needed to correct the settings/bios
on the card.

Or to go to the extreme - reflash the BIOS of the card with an updated or
even a current BIOS.

Using extreme caution would be a good idea because you would have two
cards in the one machine !!!!

Just a thought.

HTH

Regards Arie