[plug] Is it possible to disable trackpad on laptop?

Jonathan jonathan_k at dropzone.com
Wed Nov 28 15:53:27 WST 2007

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I run Ubuntu on my laptop, but a constant annoyance is the trackpad.
> > When I am typing I invariably [accidentally] bump the trackpad which
> > usually changes the window focus to whereever the mouse pointer happens
> > to be at that time.
> >
> > I use a plug in mouse with my laptop and was wondering if anyone knew
> > how to disable the trackpad on the laptop.  I've had a look through the
> > menus etc a few times but have not been able to figure out how [or if]
> > it can be done?
> >
> > Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > David. 8-)

Hi David,

Yeah, that is the most annoying thing.

Included with the synaptics driver is a small program called 'syndaemon' that does exactly what you
(and every other touchpad user!) wants. Add this program to your desktop session
(System->Preferences->Session in GNOME). I run mine with: `/usr/bin/syndaemon -i 1 -t`. There is a
man page too.

I run Gentoo and it all works sweet but I'm sure that it would be the same in Ubuntu.

Jonathan