vmware - Re: [plug] Samba [?] performance quirk

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 1 11:46:01 WST 2007

samba has a few tunable parameters such as read/write sizes that can
affect performance - maybe there is a missmatch there?  Also have you
changed some of the default network parameters somewhere (such as MTU
sizes and the like?)

does dmesg show anything?

googling vmware slow samba seems to get a lot of hits ...

BillK

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 07:35 +0800, Steve Baker wrote:
> Mike Holland wrote:
> > I recently was using Vmware on Ubuntu, and found that bridged networking
> > to the host was extremely slow. So try a different protocol and see if
> > its slow too. Are you saying you suspect Samba?
> > Changing to host-only fixed the speed.
> > You may have the same problem. I'd like to know the answer, but havn't
> > got around to checking the vmware forums yet.
> Forgot to add here: I don't suspect Samba is the problem, as it works
> fine from other VMs, just not from one on the same host.  I haven't
> tried any other protocols between those systems, apart from a few rsh
> commands, but they only return trivially small amounts of data, and this
> problem seems to kick in with anything larger than some (small)
> threshold.  When browsing Samba shares from the windows VM I can see the
> local host shares and the directory contents, but can't open/copy files.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

Home in Perth!