vmware - Re: [plug] Samba [?] performance quirk

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Oct 1 10:48:20 WST 2007

> >I recently was using Vmware on Ubuntu, and found that bridged networking
> >to the host was extremely slow. So try a different protocol and see if
> >its slow too. Are you saying you suspect Samba?
> >Changing to host-only fixed the speed.
> >You may have the same problem. I'd like to know the answer, but havn't
> >got around to checking the vmware forums yet.
> Forgot to add here: I don't suspect Samba is the problem, as it works
> fine from other VMs, just not from one on the same host.  I haven't
> tried any other protocols between those systems, apart from a few rsh
> commands, but they only return trivially small amounts of data, and this
> problem seems to kick in with anything larger than some (small)
> threshold.  When browsing Samba shares from the windows VM I can see the
> local host shares and the directory contents, but can't open/copy files.

Install pscp (part of Putty) and do an SCP transfer from the guest to
the host. With a decent sized file...

I too experience this problem with poor transfer speed from a WinXP
guest to the host (Ubuntu fiesty) . This is with VMWare Workstation 5.5
though. Haven't tested with VMWare player or the latest Workstation.

Jason