[plug] finding a midland person who can advise me re printers compatible with Linux and Ubuntu 7.4

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at exadios.com
Wed Oct 17 15:37:24 WST 2007

Hi Diana;

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Diana Rose Yoka wrote:

> Dear anyone, hope this email finds you well and happy.
> I'm in the process of writing my family history and
> will eventually need a printer and scanner. I have a
> USB (thumb) drive but it deleted my files, so
> fortunately I put a basic draft on a floppy which has
> been put into the desktop..hope this makes sense to
> you, I'm in my 60's and an older girl is capable of
> learning new tricks. warm wishes diana carew-reid

I can recomend the Canon "Canoscan LiDE 25" as a scanner. It is
avaliable for about $100 and is compatible with "Sane" - which is the
Linux subsystem for scanners.

WRT printers my recomendation is not to buy one at all. Unless you are
in a situation where you need to use a printer every day they are more
trouble than they are worth. When you are ready to print to paper it is
easier to format the output (possibly in the form of PDF files) and take
that down to a secretarial service.

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw: http://www.exadios.com (public keys avaliable there).