[plug] finding a midland person who can advise me re printers compatible with Linux and Ubuntu 7.4

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Oct 18 12:19:47 WST 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Peter F Bradshaw wrote:

> Hi Diana;
>
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Diana Rose Yoka wrote:
>
>> Dear anyone, hope this email finds you well and happy.
>> I'm in the process of writing my family history and
>> will eventually need a printer and scanner. I have a
>> USB (thumb) drive but it deleted my files, so
>> fortunately I put a basic draft on a floppy which has
>> been put into the desktop..hope this makes sense to
>> you, I'm in my 60's and an older girl is capable of
>> learning new tricks. warm wishes diana carew-reid
>
> I can recomend the Canon "Canoscan LiDE 25" as a scanner. It is
> avaliable for about $100 and is compatible with "Sane" - which is the
> Linux subsystem for scanners.
>
> WRT printers my recomendation is not to buy one at all. Unless you are
> in a situation where you need to use a printer every day they are more
> trouble than they are worth. When you are ready to print to paper it is
> easier to format the output (possibly in the form of PDF files) and take
> that down to a secretarial service.

Since this thread has been revived...

I have an HP PSC 1410 (I don't know whether they are still available -
printer/mutipurpose things seem to be brought out one month, and gone
the next month), and, using it with Debian 4.0, it works well, so it
should work okay with Ubuntu 7.4.

It is more or less "Plug-n-Play", and scans well with xsane, as well as
printing.

That would probably do the job for you, if you can find one to buy. I
think this one cost about $60, at a Tandy shop, or at Big W or K-mart. I
have two of them - one was bought at a Tandy shop, and, the other was
bought at Big W or K-mart.

In looking at the MCG web site (www.mcgtech.com.au), a similar-looking
unit is the HP DJF2180 for $61. I do not know whether that would work
with Linux. I have also seen advertisements for the Deskjet F380, which
looks similar.

I do not know whether your Ubuntu is installed on a desktop computer or
a laptop computer, but, if it is installed on a laptop computer, the
easy thing would be to take the computer (with the Ubuntu disks, if you
have them, for printer drivers), to a shop that sells one (or both) of
these printers, and tell the shop assistant that you want to find
whether the printer will work, both as a printer, and, as a scanner,
with your computer. As Ubuntu 7.4 should be very much plugnplay for such
things, if the printer/scanner will work with it, that should be able to
be found,by plugging it into the computer, which should automatically
detect the device.

I also have a cheap laser printer - a Samsung ML2010 that I bought from
PLE (www.ple.com.au) in Bentley, for around $120. That also works
without any significant problems (although I had a slight problem
initially, with its driver installation - the problem and solution
should be in the list archive). On the printer box, and in the
brochures, Samsung makes a point of advising that it is compatible with
various Linux districubtions, which to me means that Samsung is saying
"Hey, our printer works with Linux, and we support Linux".

One thing that occurred to me, as a fellow genealogist - are you looking
for an A4 printer, or an A3 printer?

I know that an A3 printer is quite a useful thing to have, in genealogy,
and, I had one at one stage - a cheap Canon bubblejet printer
(unfortunately, it was a GDI printer, and, at that time, GDI printers
did not work with Linux), that Canon discontinued, as it was about as
expensive as an A4 inkjet printer - about $300 at the time.

I think that HP has an A3 printer, for around $300, now, but I do not
know much about its compatibility with Linux.

One place that I suggest that you look, is the web site at
http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi . You would need to find a
printer that sounds good to you (for price, functionality, etc), get the
brand and model number, and have a look on that web site, for what it
says about the printer model.

My Samsung laser printer is rated as Perfect, from memory, and, the HP
PSC1410 is rated as Mostly (as in most of the functionality works), from
memory, so you should be able to easily find a desirable printer with
one of those ratings.

I hope that this is helpful.

--
Bret Busby