[plug] Ethernet Bonding

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Oct 18 21:44:33 WST 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> The trouble with retaining the same local MAC is that you'll experience high
> ARP churn as the routing device starts seeing the same IP from multiple source
> ARP addresses. I forget how you work around this.

argh, this is what happens when your brain is in psychology student mode and
not network engineer mode. This kind of crap, and I forget the exact details,
pops up when doing server failover between Microsoft hosts and makes Cisco
switches unhappy by default. It sees the IP "bounce" between both hosts
very quickly and gets upset in the above way.

Still, the following should make your life simple.

> Using a link aggregation protocol on the switch -should- tell the switch not
> to bounce learnt MAC addresses between both ports and to treat them as an
> actual port group, sending traffic to the relevant port based on some pre
> determined algorithm. Isn't that good enough for what you're trying to do?

adrian