[plug] Trevor Cowan (Introducing myself to the group)

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Sun Oct 21 21:45:15 WST 2007

Hey Trevor,

> My name is Trevor, I am 67 years of age and was a
> member of this list for a short time in 2003. The
> reason I dropped out was I could not get my hands on a
> spare computer, but as my 19 year old daughter is
> buying a new computer, I have inherited her old one
> with a bit of space on the hard drives.

Welcome back then :)

> Although I am old I have picked up a little knowledge
> about computers having been on then since 1998.
> I just finished a clean install of Windows 98 on the
> 7.82 GB "C" section of the hard drive. I intend
> putting Unbuntu - 7.10 Gustsy Desktop on the 9.76 GB
> "D" drive, leaving the 27.40 GB "E" drive for storage.
> I have already downloaded Unbuntu - 7.10 Gustsy
> Desktop to dessktop on my main computer and burnt the
> required ISO image to disk and had a play around with
> it.
> No! I have more sense than to ask which Linux version
> is the best. :-; I chose this version as it appears to
> suit my needs. I may need a little help to get it
> installed and get any extra applications for it
> though.

Well thankfully the installers have been getting better
and better over the years. Ubuntu is a good choice btw and
it also includes an easy to use software installer which
should cater for most of the additional apps you may need
assuming you have a decent Internet connection (ADSL?).

The October PLUG seminar had a good session by Daniel
Axtens on Ubuntu tips and tricks - things like installing
support for various media formats and web browser plugins.
I suggest taking a look at the presentation which is available
on the PLUG website: http://www.plug.org.au/

Jason.