[plug] screen resolution resolved

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 25 21:07:42 WST 2007

if you have xrandr 2, it might give you the control needed.  xrandr 1 is
fairly brain dead.  Try adding "IGNOREEDID" "1" and "IGNOREDDC" "1" to
xorg.conf if it supports it.  My laptop with a FC7 vm is at work so I
cant get a peek at the standard xorg.conf to see if the above is valid -
but give it a go ...

Check "man org.conf" and "man <xorgdrivername>" to get the correct
options.  You dont mention the video driver - wouldn't be an i810
variant would it :)

BillK

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 20:51 +0800, Arie Hol wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2007 at 15:04, David Dartnall wrote:
>
> > Please ignore my plea for help about 10 minutes ago.
> >

> While we are on the subject of screen resolution :
>
> I have just built myself an AMD64 X2 system - I have installed Fedora 7 -
> but the installer did not detect my LCD monitor - a Samsung 940BW (19"
> widesreen).
>
> I cannot select the correct monitor from the list (940BW is not shown) or
> change the screen resolution.
>
> Max screen resolution available from list is 1280 x 1024, but I need at
> least  1440 x 900.
>
> I have tried editing xorg.conf by inserting a "modes" line :
>
> Subsection "Screen0"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes       "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
> EndSubsection
>
> But the system just ignores the line and comes up in 1280 x 1024, if I
> select "Generic LCD monitor" from the list, the system tells me that
> changes have been saved to xorg.conf but system doesn't save the changes to
> the file.
>
> Can I edit the file that stores the listings of monitors and insert the
> details for my Samsung (Syncmaster 940BW) ?
>
> If so which file do I need to modify ?
>

> NOTE : When I installed Fedora 7 on my P4 recently, I had no problems with
> monitor detection - that system had a ATI Radeon 9250 card installed.
>
> Could the lack of monitor detection be a quirk of having an onboard
> graphics chip ???
>
> TIA
>
> Regards Arie
Home in Perth!