[plug] SAN Advice

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Fri Oct 26 10:20:04 WST 2007

Mark,

The SAN/NAS choice is getting harder as NAS prices drop.  How important
is it to have redundancy?  NAS tends to have single points of failure,
whereas SAN tries to avoid them (though can't entirely.)

Also it depends on how you're running your virtual machines... what are
the specs for the machines that will run the VM's? How many VM's will be
accessing the NAS? What OS's are the VM's running? What performance are
you aiming for?

Here are some drive prices to give you a benchmark for the pricing on
the Intel box:

	100GB drives - phased out
	320GB SATA, 16MB cache: $99
	750GB SATA, 16MB cache: $249

So at *full* retail, the drive config for which you've been quoted is:

	$99 + ($249 x 6) = $1593

Ergo, you are paying $8407 for the box, CPUs of your choice, RAID card
and M$ license.  BTW, I would suggest buying 2x320GB drives for the OS
to run as a RAID1 (mirrored) pair.

Hate to say it, but Dell has a better deal if price is an issue.  A Dell
4U server with redundant power supplies, RAID card etc. is probably 2/3
or less of the Intel price all up.

Paul