[plug] SAN Advice

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:53:08 WST 2007

On 10/26/07, Mark Slatem <slatemfam at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>  Wow, thanks for all the advice, I will start following up all the myriad
> options put forth!

At my work we're looking at a 10-15TB iSCSI SAN setup to improve on a
FC SAN we have right now. The plan is to provide high-availability
iSCSI using a couple of storage servers and DRBD/Heatbeat.

I've yet to start testing, so I don't know if there's any unforseen
gotchas with that kind of setup yet, but other people on the interweb
appear to have had positive results (ie.
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/82284/san-on-the-cheap/page1.html).

No reason storage has to be big; it should work just as well for 500GB
as 15TB. You should be able to do something like this with two cheap
servers (or even one server if you don't need the HA).

-Patrick