[plug] SAN Advice

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 26 11:49:22 WST 2007

Paul Antoine wrote:

> I'd run JFS as filesystem under Linux which allows for online filesystem
>  growth (the RAID card will do the online RAID volume expansion.)

Just a comment: my past experiences with XFS and Reiserfs have led me to
be leery of anything that's not ext3 under Linux.  These days ext3 also
does online expansion and hashed directories (so directories with large
numbers of files don't suck like they used to).  It's the most popular
filesystem so gets the most testing and is least likely to lead to weird
behaviour - though that's not to say that it's not possible, as a few
people on this list have discovered in the past.

Another thing to look at is LVM - which I presume anyone looking at
terabytes of storage will already be familiar with!

Cameron (who has never been involved with large-scale SAN/NAS systems
but has set up and maintained a couple of smaller file servers.)