[plug] can't write to cdrom (or flash drive)

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 13:39:34 WST 2007

> From: Dem Nisbet <dnisbet at webace.com.au>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 00:08:01 +0800
> Subject: can't write to cdrom (or flash drive)
> Hi folks,
> I've been on this mailing list for about a month, and this is my first
> question, so I thought I'd introduce myself, as suggested in the
> welcoming email.
>
> My name is Dem, and I work at Telstra (very Windows-friendly people
> there, and they don't support Linux for *anything*), and also study
> maths (currently deferred). I have some computing experience from my
> degree (about 4 CS units, all Windows/C++/Java). I've been using Linux
> for several years, and have previously been to 1 plug meeting (about 4
> years ago). I was on the mailing list then, but didn't send any
> messages.
>
> Enough about me, and on to my problem!!
>
> I have a newish PC (bought early 2005), 512MB ram, 60GB hard drive, DVD
> reader, CD burner. I'm using Red Hat Fedora Core 3 (ie. the free
> version). I have never been able to save to CD (it reads CDs and DVDs
> without trouble, including my old Windows CDs). When I try to copy, it
> tells me I have a SCSI drive, and then it shuts up shop and won't go any
> further.
>
> My DVD is a "LiteOn LDW 1213S 12X DVD+/-RW" (that was transcribed from
> my invoice).
>
> My actions so far, in the grand hunt for a solution: I tried fiddling
> with the menus when copying, then eventually went to Wikipedia. They
> sent me to try K3b, which looked ok, but I couldn't manage to download
> it somehow (I couldn't even find the download page). Then I tried the
> plug archives, and spent a while searching, but eventually I gave up (I
> have a dial up connection, so please be sympathetic with my lack of
> persistence).
>
> I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide. An alternative
> solution would be to use my flash drive, but I can't work out how to use
> that either (the computer doesn't even so much as sniffle when I insert
> it, and I've checked the instructions (model: Sandisk Cruzer), and it
> says it is Linux compatible). If anyone can solve the flash drive
> situation and not the cdrom one, that would be fine also - then I can
> save my files, and upgrade.
>
> Speaking of which, if you can't solve either flash drive or cdrom
> issues, does anyone at least know of a distro that I could use that
> doesn't have this most irksome problem? I prefer Red Hat, on the grounds
> of familiarity, so I'm hoping some later version might have fixed this
> kink.
>
> regards,
> Dem Nisbet.

Hi Dan,

I've cc'd you as I'm unsure if you're on the list...

First off may I suggest an upgrade from Fed Core 3? It's long since
past it's support due date and time, and I think the software versions
of programs and applications may have issues and be less user
friendly.

Otherwise, I'm guessing Fed Core 3 uses a 2.4 based kernel which is
not so nice when it comes to burning drives as it has to emulate a
SCSI device in order to work (which is why you're seeing SCSI stuff).
Also, I suspect the drive is "working" at least from a kernel
perspective, but I don't think you're distribution supports
autodetection and auto mounting of this kind of media without extra
aid.

Again I'd suggest the simplest fix: upgrade to a supported version of
your distro, or change distros to again something more modern. There's
been heaps of movement in Linux land that you're missing out on right
now ;)

Tomasz