[plug] can't write to cdrom (or flash drive)

Hendrik Strydom hns1 at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 2 13:49:23 WST 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-02 at 00:08 +0800, Dem Nisbet wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > I've been on this mailing list for about a month, and this is my first
> > question, so I thought I'd introduce myself, as suggested in the
> > welcoming email.
Welcome

.. snip
> > Enough about me, and on to my problem!!
> >
> > I have a newish PC (bought early 2005), 512MB ram, 60GB hard drive, DVD
> > reader, CD burner. I'm using Red Hat Fedora Core 3 (ie. the free
> > version). I have never been able to save to CD (it reads CDs and DVDs
> > without trouble, including my old Windows CDs). When I try to copy, it
> > tells me I have a SCSI drive, and then it shuts up shop and won't go any
> > further.
Fedora Core 3 is quite old.  Core 7 is current now, and each version is
only supported for the next release, i.e. Core 6 will not be supported
once Core 8 comes out in a few months.  Shortly after this getting
software for your version becomes a problem, and you will have a hard
time finding a repository for Core 3.
What is the exact error message?  Older versions wanted scsi emulation
turned on (which required a kernel parameter like hdc=ide-scsi set
(assuming your DVD writer is master on the second ide channel).
This is no longer required, but for Core 3 it was still the case.

> > My DVD is a "LiteOn LDW 1213S 12X DVD+/-RW" (that was transcribed from
> > my invoice).
> > My actions so far, in the grand hunt for a solution: I tried fiddling
> > with the menus when copying, then eventually went to Wikipedia. They
> > sent me to try K3b, which looked ok, but I couldn't manage to download
> > it somehow (I couldn't even find the download page). Then I tried the
k3b should be on the installation media (if you have the full set -
probably 3rd CD, but I cannot recall accurately).  It requires many of
the kde support libs to run.  It may be slower once all these libraries
are in memory, but your hardware is still new enough to have adequate
response.

.. snip

> > I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide. An alternative
> > solution would be to use my flash drive, but I can't work out how to use
> > that either (the computer doesn't even so much as sniffle when I insert
> > it, and I've checked the instructions (model: Sandisk Cruzer), and it
> > says it is Linux compatible). If anyone can solve the flash drive
> > situation and not the cdrom one, that would be fine also - then I can
> > save my files, and upgrade.
Preferably update to a newer version of Fedora Core (get the media from
the Plug library or a friend closer).  It resolved many issues in older
versions of Fedora and definitely improved USB device handling and
things like Cd and DVD writing.  The usb drive probably works, but is
not mounted automatically.
Installing k3b from your CD's should also work - it worked better than
xcdroast for me in the early versions of Fedora, and since I got used to
it I still use it now.  You likely still need the kernel parameter in
grub.conf as well.

> > Speaking of which, if you can't solve either flash drive or cdrom
> > issues, does anyone at least know of a distro that I could use that
> > doesn't have this most irksome problem? I prefer Red Hat, on the grounds
> > of familiarity, so I'm hoping some later version might have fixed this
> > kink.
All of this should work with no problems in a current version of Fedora
Core, or any other distro.  Since you are familiar with Red Hat try a
newer version of Core.  Given that you are on dial-up, and probably
don't want to update the distro regularly you may want to consider one
of the free server clones, probably CentOS (where there is at least 5
years worth of support, and hence availability of software).  CentOS 5
came out recently, so should have support till 2012 at least.

Hope this helps.  If you have specific error messages we should be able
to provide more help.

Regards
  Hendrik