[plug] Samsung ML2010 printer problem

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Sep 14 14:38:52 WST 2007

Hello, everyone.

I am running Debian 4.0 on my computer.

I currently have an HP PSC1410 installed on the computer, which
installed at the time of the system installation, without any action by
me, and it runs okay - printing and scanning.

I have just bought a Samsung ML2010 laser printer, to be able to use a
black laser printer. The printer is supposed to work "Perfectly" with
Linux, and the Samsung information says that the model runs with Debian.

I have tried, repeatedly, to instal the printer, using foomatic, and it
simply doesn't instal.

The printer is detected, without any problem, including the correct
model number.

When stepping through the installation process, the driver default is
splix (recommended), so, I just step on from that, and it doesn't work.

At "Choose Printer Connection", the printer is listed.

At "Printer Identification", the printer is selcted, with queue name
ml2010, and I type in Samsung ML2010 for "Printer Description", then
select <Forward>.

At the "Choose printer make and model", "Samsung" and "ML-2010" are
listed, so I select <Forward>. Nothing indicates that I need to enter
anything in the text box "Adobe PPD file".

At the "Choose printer driver" dialogue box, it says
"Hint: choose the printer driver marked "recommended" below if you're
not sure which printer driver to use; it should be selected already.
"splix" is marked, and shown as "recommended". So, I select <Forward>.

Then I come to a dialogue box,
"Almost done.
To add this printer, click the Apply button. ...".

So, I select <Apply>.

Then it returns me to the foomatic printer management window, without
the printer having been installed.

What is going wrong and, why isn't the printer installing?

If I run Synaptic, and search for splix, it is not found.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale