[plug] Samsung ML2010 printer problem

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Sep 15 12:35:15 WST 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Lance Duivenbode wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:54:16 +0800
> From: Lance Duivenbode <lance at duivenbode.id.au>
> To: plug at plug.org.au
> Subject: Re: [plug] Samsung ML2010 printer problem
>
> Hi Bret,
>
> Just a quick question - is this printer labelled as using GDI? I've got a
> Samsung ML-1210 and it says it works perfectly with Linux. However, after
> purchasing it I discovered it was a GDI printer (not sure what that is but I
> think it's a custom print protocol) so I couldn't use standard CUPS printer
> drivers.
>
> The only way I could get it to work was to download the Linux CUPS drivers
> from the Samsung support site which included a Postscript to GDI filter that
> was run by CUPS when printing occurred (this is part of the driver so you
> don't need to set it up).
>
> After that it worked (and still does 5 years later) perfectly.
>
> Lance

Hello, Lance.

The printer is not labelled as a GDI printer.

Also, GDI printers generally have little or no RAM. They usually work
directly from MS Windows, and all the processing and memory is done by
MS Windows, and not by the printer.

This printer appearently has 8MB of RAM, and it supposedly uses the
Samsung SPL (Samsung Printer Language) language emulation, or is
supposed to be compatible with such emulation.

GDI printers, from what I have seen, are not specifid as being at all
compatible with Linux, but, are specified as being compatible only with
MS Windows (and not Mac OS's either, I think), and not with DOS or
anything other than MS Windows.

I believe that GDI stood for Graphic Display Interface (but, I could be
wrong), and GDI printers were a cheap plugin for MS Windows, as the GDI
printers did no processing of their own, all of the processing being
done by the MS Windows graphics, thus making the GDI printers cheap,
and, very restricted in compatibility (only compatible with MS Windows).

This printer is specifid as being compatible with various Linux
distributions, including Debian, and with Mac OS 10.3.

So, it appears to be definitely not a GDI printer.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."