[plug] sensors

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Sep 18 20:35:36 WST 2007

Mike Holland wrote:
> Adam Hewitt wrote:
>> I have a project on the table for work that requires a temperature sensor
>
> places like Jaycar will sell you a cheap multimeter with RS-232 cable
> and temp probe. IIRC, the auto-off is disabled when rs-232 is on. You'd
> need to rig 3V power though.
>
> Could you rely on the built-in temp sensors in motherboard, HDD etc?
> (hddtemp lm-sensors mbmon)

Measuring temperature in a PC environment is one of those things where the cat does not have enough
skins to go around. Everyone seems to do it differently.

I started using the MB sensor in the PC and graphing that with MRTG, and progressed to a
microcontroller talking to 3 DS18S20 sensors, controlling the compressor in my A/C and talking to
the PC using USB (would have been easier if I'd used a micro with a USB engine in it though).

 From incredibly simple to rather complex.. having said that, having software control over the A/C
rather than a mechanical thermostat has dropped my power bill significantly. You can really have fun
with A/C control algorithms if you want to go nuts!

Which ever way you go, you'll end up having a ball and wanting to do more :)

Brad