[plug] Samba performance quirk

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 29 18:07:04 WST 2007

Hi,

I have 20 computers isolated in their own network, all with identical
hardware and running Ubuntu 7.04 x64.  Systems are named ubu01 .. ubu20,
and has a /usr/shared partition shared using Samba with a share name of
'shared'.

Each system also has VMWare server installed, and Windows XP running in
a VM.  These VMs are named vwin01 .. vwin20.  From each windows VM, I
can access the Samba shared filesystems on any of the ubuntu hosts.

IP address are statically assigned - 192.168.8.11-30 for the ubuntu
hosts, 192.168.8.51-70 for the VMs.  The VMs share the host adapter in
bridged mode.

The problem is this: from windows vm vwinX, read/write to the samba
share on ubuntu host ubuX (ie. the same physical system) is very very
slow, as in almost non-existent.  I can see the directory and the files,
but trying to read or write files times out or otherwise fails.
Accessing the share on any of the other systems is very fast, ie.
behaves normally.  Accessing the samba share on host X from any OTHER
windows VM also works fine.  The behaviour is the same on all 20
computers - accessing any other system is fine, accessing the local
ubuntu host breaks.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Steve