[plug] new kernels don't like scsi controller

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 2 13:59:39 WST 2008

Gavin Chester <gavin.chester at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 12:19 +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
>> Install CD's often (usually?) run a log to aid fault finding, both to
>> the normal /var/log/messages on the ramdisk and on the console
>> (CTRL-ALT-F12)
>>
>> Also, have you tried the usual noapic, no dma etc options on the install
>> - often helps for situations like this.

>Thanks for suggestion, but in earlier post I mentioned keyboard was dead
>when install borked part way through hardware initialisation. And, yes
>with all distros tried, I resorted to "safe" settings and text only and
>all the usual options. No, it just boiled down to the lsi scsi card
>being a showstopper for installing newest kernels, irrespective of
>distro: suse 10.1, centos 4, ubuntu 5, etc all handled the card ok, but
>not newer versions.

>But the whole issue is a moot point, because following advice elsewhere
>has COMPLETELY trashed my mb bios and the machine seems fit for the bin
>- unless there is a miracle (sob) See other post to come.

Would this be a 64-bit kernel?

Some of the LSI drivers aren't 64-bit clean on newer kernels and can
lead to such lock-ups. openSUSE now excludes them from the 64-bit
kernel builds but leaves them in the 32-bit version.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Great minds discuss ideas;
 X   against HTML mail     | Average minds discuss events;
/ \  and postings          | Small minds discuss people. -- Eleanor Roosevelt