[plug] Interrrupt conflict question

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Apr 15 11:04:48 WST 2008

Hello.

For a number of reasons, a system rebuild was done on my portable
computer; an HP NX5000.

In the course of the rebuild, with the system being dual booting with MS
Windows XP and Debian etch, the network card appears to be not working
in Debian etch.

>From memory, when the system was originally built, with Windows XP and
Debian sarge, we found that an interrupt conflict involving the network
card and (I think) the graphic card, was present.

That was found and resolved, by installing the then current version of
Ubuntu Linux, then installing Debian Sarge on top of it, to replace it,
using the interrupt values allocated by the Ubuntu version.

Now, we have the "live" versions, I think they are named, of various
Linux distributions, like Knoppix, where we insert an optical disk, boot
from the optical disk, into a particular Linux distribution, and, "away
we go", able to use the "live" Linux distribution, as if it is
installed.

My query, then, is this; with Debian etch already (more or less)
installed on the computer, would it work, to use a "live" disk of the
current version of Ubuntu, to obtain the table of interrupts allocated
by Ubuntu, and to modify the Debian etch table of interrupts, to
correspond with the Ubuntu table of interrupts (I am assuming that the
"live" version of Ubuntu, would create in RAM, a virtual table of
interrupts for all of the hardware devices, for use while that OS is
running)? And, how do I find the table of interrupts, that would include
the interrupt numbers of the cards like the network card and the
graphics card; what is the path/filename, for both Ubuntu "live" and
for Debian etch?

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby