[plug] NAS unit feedback anyone?

sothisistheinternet sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 00:35:04 WST 2008

Avoid Netgear, at least the SC101T models.

1 - power supplies on both our systems failed in the first 24 hours of
use and took about a month to get replaced by netgear after repeated
mix ups on their part with their IT systems.

2 - You cannot put a pre-formated or populated drive in these units -
the units will not recognise the drive as usable.

3- Netgear have removed a very simple little tool from their software
for these devices that allows you to repartition and use previously
used drives. Instead, you have to allow them to log into your system
and use the same tool remotely from their end on your drives.

4- No USB/Firewire ports for drive population, making the problem of
periodic network refreshes even greater because it keeps breaking the
copy processes while populating the devices over the network.

5- Not true NAS - can only be used via the netgear software as shared
drives on a PC

6- Not sure if these will work under Linux due to problem 5.

I assume you're referring to much more expensive units than the
SC101T, but just in case, I thought I should warn you (and anyone else
considering one).

We're using them because we're not pouring any more money into NAS at
the moment after this disappointment.

Ari