[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 3 17:36:10 WST 2008

Hi everyone,

How are we all ? enjoying the cold, windy days down in Perth, thankfully
I"m still at home, in Broome, soaking up the sun and enjoying the warmth
before I come back for my final stage of initial training.

Anyway, back on topic though, I'm trying to install some old machines
here with Ubuntu 8.04, they're PIII 600 with 128 megs of RAM... so far I
get as far as the "Install" screen which lets you select the items you
want to install and all that, but, to get that far takes a good hour...

Is there a text only mode or something which I haven't figured out, for
a laugh I tried installing XP ont he same machines and it goes on with
an hour, drivers included. I want to get one of these machines installed
with Ubuntu before Tuesday, that's when I go back to Perth.

If Ubuntu isn't recommended for older machines I'm all ears for any
feedback.

Cheers
Kai

--