[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Keith Bawden keith at bawdo.com
Sun Aug 3 17:46:30 WST 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 18:36, Kai <vk6ksj at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> How are we all ? enjoying the cold, windy days down in Perth,

Nope I'm in balmy Tokyo :-)

> Is there a text only mode or something which I haven't figured out,

A little googling suggest you need the "alternate install CD"

http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu-releases/8.04.1/

> If Ubuntu isn't recommended for older machines I'm all ears for any
> feedback.

Will this be a desktop machine? If so then I don't think your choice
of distro will be as limiting a factor as your choice of window
manager. Maybe something like xfce, wmaker or my personal choice wmii.

Regards, Keith