[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 3 19:58:53 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 19:50 +0800, Kev wrote:

> Blake Munro wrote:
> > I might be a little biased, but I use Red hat servers at work and
> > Debian based systems after hours, and I find the debian based package
> > managers faaaaaaar easier to use.
> > Infact I hate yum, yast, any other package manager - i'm a pure
> > apt-get boy.
> >
> > I find that on redhat systems there are much less packages available
> > in total, therefore to the newbie linux user I would always suggest a
> > debian based system (ubuntu, knoppix, mint etc)
>
> When I very first dabbled in Linux, only a couple of years ago, I was
> pointed at Mandrake.  I had all sorts of bother installing new apps,
> mainly due to "dependency hell" - Linux's version of the famous "dll
> hell" in Windoze.  When someone explained how the Debian system dealt
> better with dependencies than the Red Hat system I gave a Deb based
> distro a go.  The rest, as they say, is history.  I'm still unwilling to
> even entertain the idea of Red Hat based system.  As for package
> managers, Synaptic will handle either types of packages.
>
> Newbies should be pointed at Debian based distros for 1 good reason;
> installing new apps is a perenial problem for newbies, but less so with
> debs.

NO, they are a lesser problem with SYNAPTIC (not because the underlying
packages are *.debs) or whatever the FRONTEND is. I have run SUSE
systems with Smart and it was as easy as synaptic (the author claims
easier ... but ... ).

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629