[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 3 20:02:05 WST 2008

Maybe I need to rephrase or explain a little further ?

apt-get is awesome, Synaptec is awesome. I want to download app 1, 2, 4
and 4 so select them and "hey you also need app 5, 6, 7 and 8 to use
this program" so we'll have them too.

RPM on the other hand...need app 1, download that rpm -i app1.rpm
failed, damn need app 2, go download appropriate version of that,
install, hrmm, wait, four other dependencies need resolving first, go
search for them but wait the other version of app 2 I installed is
version s x.x.4 an I needed x.x.3 to be compatible with app3, but that
doesn't work with app4 which requires..... blah blah

Admittedly it's been a while since I really did anything with servers,
been focussing lots on college the last 1.5 year so my impressions may
need refreshing somewhat.