[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 3 20:37:24 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:02 +0800, Kai wrote:
> Maybe I need to rephrase or explain a little further ?
>
> apt-get is awesome, Synaptec is awesome. I want to download app 1, 2, 4
> and 4 so select them and "hey you also need app 5, 6, 7 and 8 to use
> this program" so we'll have them too.
>
> RPM on the other hand...need app 1, download that rpm -i app1.rpm
> failed, damn need app 2, go download appropriate version of that,
> install, hrmm, wait, four other dependencies need resolving first, go
> search for them but wait the other version of app 2 I installed is
> version s x.x.4 an I needed x.x.3 to be compatible with app3, but that
> doesn't work with app4 which requires..... blah blah
>
> Admittedly it's been a while since I really did anything with servers,
> been focussing lots on college the last 1.5 year so my impressions may
> need refreshing somewhat.

No it's the package MANAGER rather than the package - Yast, Yum, Smart,
Synaptic etc use info in the packages to decide EXACTLY what to install
if you decide to install a package foo.[deb][rpm][xyz]. Admittedly some
do a better job than others ......

For goodness sake, people, please separate the process from the
content.   :-)

If you want to use a certain distro for a certain reason, please don't
believe that your feelings/prejudices are gospel - examine your beliefs
- I do! (and I'm over 50)

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629