[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Kev kdownes at bbnet.com.au
Sun Aug 3 20:48:32 WST 2008

Richard Meyer wrote:
> Synaptic etc use info in the packages to decide EXACTLY what to install

Yes, but  RPMs don't have as much info stored in them as DEBs.  What Kai
described is precisely why I quit Mandrake, and I'm pretty sure Mandrake
(10.x) used Synaptic, just as I use in Xandros and Etch  However, let's
face it most package managers, like Synaptic are only GUI frontends for
an underlying package management system.  It's that underlying system
where the differences lie.

> if you decide to install a package foo.[deb][rpm][xyz]. Admittedly some
> do a better job than others ......
>
> For goodness sake, people, please separate the process from the
> content.   :-)
>
> If you want to use a certain distro for a certain reason, please don't
> believe that your feelings/prejudices are gospel - examine your beliefs
> - I do! (and I'm over 50)
>

> No it's the package MANAGER rather than the package - Yast, Yum, Smart,

Kev Downes
The Other Other Operation
kdownes at bbnet.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1
There are 10 types of people ...
   ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.