[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 3 21:22:59 WST 2008

All I was doing was trying to tighten up the wording. Some people were
confusing the pisspot and the turds within - totally different things.

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:48 +0800, Kev wrote:

> Richard Meyer wrote:
> > Synaptic etc use info in the packages to decide EXACTLY what to install
> >

> Yes, but  RPMs don't have as much info stored in them as DEBs.

>From what I read in the early Smart forums .rpms had MORE meta-info) I
have been googling frantically to find it again, but, alas .....)

> What Kai
> described is precisely why I quit Mandrake, and I'm pretty sure Mandrake
> (10.x) used Synaptic, just as I use in Xandros and Etch  However, let's
> face it most package managers, like Synaptic are only GUI frontends for
> an underlying package management system.  It's that underlying system
> where the differences lie.

Again, we are getting to the point where we actually agree. Yes,
SYNAPTIC is a frontend (which is what I was trying to say FFS). it may
actually resolve cross-dependencies better than using straight "rpm",
which is NO surprise ....

As I said below.

> > if you decide to install a package foo.[deb][rpm][xyz]. Admittedly some
> > do a better job than others ......
> >
> > For goodness sake, people, please separate the process from the
> > content.   :-)
> >
> > If you want to use a certain distro for a certain reason, please don't
> > believe that your feelings/prejudices are gospel - examine your beliefs
> > - I do! (and I'm over 50)
> >

> > No it's the package MANAGER rather than the package - Yast, Yum, Smart,

Where I give Debian based distros the big nod is THEY CAN UPDATE A WHOLE
DISTRO WHILE THEY ARE ONLINE without a reboot.

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629