[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Tue Aug 5 09:11:26 WST 2008

Hi,

I expect you will get a lot of 'personal choice' replies here.

My personal choice is IBM thinkpads (now called Lenovo) (although it
does not meet the keypad option - I personally find laptops with that
tend to be too big in size) . I use a T43.

Main reasons:

1. Linux is well supported, officially by lenovo.
2. You can buy your thinkpad with either windows or linux or no OS at
all installed. For a person like me who don't use windows at all, it
makes the purchase a bit cheaper, as you don't have to pay the included
OS costs. I bought mine with no OS installed.
3. Large community of linux users: http://www.thinkwiki.org and
http://forum.thinkpads.com/

As for the distro of linux to install, may I suggest you have a look at
linuxMint.
Based on ubuntu, but with some very nice extra's. I have found this to
be nice easy to use, and to install distro for people new to linux.
I converted my wife from xp to linux in one go, and now she prefers
mint. http://www.linuxmint.com/

I have just downloaded the latest cd (the main edition, using gnome) (it
works as a live cd, so you can give it a go without installing it), so
if you want a copy, send me a direct email, and I can burn the image for
you. I am in Port Kennedy.

Good luck in finding your 'personal choice'

Regards
Lucas

http://www.dedmeet.com