[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Aug 18 10:14:14 WST 2008

> > These are the things I need on this laptop:
> > 1- big enough hard drive to have both linux and windows
> > 2- keyboard with a number pad at the right (if possible)
>
> Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but Lenovo (IIRC)
> recently launched one with all the features you want and as it's an
> ibm it probably covers feature 5, too.

Yeah the 17" W-series model has a keypad, but that laptop is pretty big.
And FYI Lenovo is a separate company to IBM, they bought the consumer PC
division a long time ago. i.e. Lenovo's are Lenovo's.

> > 5- I also need a stress-free installation process - I have
> > had several attempts of installing linux and not many
> > successes

And I don't think this is necessarily the case. There is frequently
issues using the latest tech and linux on laptops. If you're about to
make a decision I'd do a bit of a search around to see if anyone else
has successfully got it going (the typical issues are around video,
audio, wireless, and suspend).

Jason.