[plug] Thunderbird: imap headers only, but downloads first message

Mathieu Petit-Clair mathieu.petitclair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 13:01:43 WST 2008

Lucas van Staden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anyone else on the list seen this strange behavior on Thunderbird
> (version 2.0.0.16 (20080724))

[...]
> I can only surmise that even though the reading pane is closed,
> Thunderbird is actually still pulling down the entire first
> message....which seems pointless.

I've been using IMAP (with different providers) for many years, with
different clients (mostly Evolution and Thunderbird) and I always had
(and still having) this kind of problem. Clicking "stop" usually makes
it work right, but not always. Never knew if this was a problem with
Thunderbird, or just a network thing (mailservers being in eastern
Canada, and that kind of stuff). All my connections are using SSL or
TLS, I wonder if it could have something to do with it.. (would be
suprising, but I've seen stranger)

Imap is very convenient, but it seems like a lot of clients are not
quite there yet. Still better than pop3 for my use, though. :-)

Mat