[plug] Thunderbird: imap headers only, but downloads first message

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Tue Aug 19 10:36:40 WST 2008

Hi,

Anyone else on the list seen this strange behavior on Thunderbird
(version 2.0.0.16 (20080724))

I use imap, set to get headers only, reading pane is closed. Mainly to
save bandwidth, as I access my company mail via vpn from UK.

When I pull the message headers, and they complete, Thunderbird status
(bottom left) says 'Downloading message...' and the download progress
bar goes on for a while. I can clearly see all the new mail headers are
in my box.

So what is it downloading?

I did a quick test by mailing myself a small message, pull new mail, and
the progress bar stays for a short while.
Same test but with a larger message (attached file) and the progress bar
stays for a long time.

I can only surmise that even though the reading pane is closed,
Thunderbird is actually still pulling down the entire first
message....which seems pointless.

-Lucas