[plug] Graphics intrepid!

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Thu Dec 4 14:43:37 WST 2008

Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Lucas van Staden <lvs at dedmeet.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would agree with Adam, sound unlikely the issue is caused by the graphics
>> (or compiz),
>> but hey, anything is possible....
>>
>> I would have a look to see what is going on with the network drivers,
>> see on google if there are any issues related to your network hardware and
>> Intrepid.
>>
>> I had to dump my wireless card for a new one (had a rt61 based one). Worked
>> fine in Hardy, but had massive packet failure/corruption/system kernel
>> panics in Intrepid.
>>
>> Also, you could eliminate the compiz stuff completely by uninstalling the
>> compiz packages.
>> It would be simple enough to put them back once you sure they are not to
>> blame.
>> Simple process of elimination ;)
>>

> Hi,
>
> You could have a similar issue to me; my old ADSL modem at home gives
> out stupid MTU values and intrepid now takes those to heart. Anyway,
> have a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>
> request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
> 	domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
> 	netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu;
>
> See the interface-mtu? Rip that out. Problem solved for me.
>
> request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
> 	domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
> 	netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;
>

> Regards,
> Tomasz

Thank you gentlemen, you've led me to a solution, confusing tho' it is!
You made it clear that Intrepid could be made to work, and possibly some
of the browser settings had changed.

So I started out making changes:
    In Firefox, ticking the 'Load images automatically' box worked
    in Konqueror this parameter was already set but ticking 'only allow
HTTP and HTTPS URLs for plugins' worked.
    in Opera, enabling cookies was successful...

Then Tomasz provided what, if it was the basic problem, would be a much
better solution, so:
With the above settings reversed and 'interface-mtu' removed from
dhclient.conf:
    Firefox reverted back to it's unsatisfactory state
    Konqueror worked ok
    Opera barfed

So back to my trial and error settings and thank you all, the browsers
work ok with these odd settings but It's hard to understand why.
Regards
Dave Dartnall