[plug] "Eeepc: tips & tricks": Recap and Links.

mccabedj mccabedj at ucc.asn.au
Fri Dec 12 15:42:27 WST 2008

David Dartnall wrote:
> Hi, all of you who went, it sounded like it would be a really
> constructive talk.
> I'd just bought a 4G (701) and unfortunately couldn't get there last
> Tuesday.
> Was there some sort of record kept which could be helpful to me please?
> regards
> Dave Dartnall

Well, my slides are available at
   http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/eeepc/Eeepc.pdf

The software I discussed has precompiled versions at:
   http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/eeepc
Three precompiled files that you may be interested in:

- compcache-0.4_eeepc701.tar.gz
   Uses compression memory to increase effective size of memory, see
   http://code.google.com/p/compcache/
   I spent a fair bit of time discussing compcache, as I have done some
   work testing an packaging this project.

- i810pan_new.tar.bz2
   Allows a virtual resolution larger than the actual size of the screen.
   The display follows the mouse.

- overclock.tar.bz2
   Allows you to "over clock" the CPU (actually return the CPU to its
   rated frequency, so this is fairly safe, although may increase power
   consumption). The 900MHz Dothan is faster than a typical P4 1.6GHz
   when running at its full speed.

I think someone also videoed the talk. I don't know what happened with that.

The Eeepc has very limited software in its repos, so I added the etch
repositories. However if you add the etch repositories you *must* use
apt-pinning or risk hosing your system. (You can restore to factory
defaults by pressing F9 while booting, but then you lose all your
customizations and data). How to do apt-pinning is discussed at:
   http://wiki.eeeuser.com/addingxandrosrepos

You may also be interested in various other tips and tricks, including
how to set up compiz:
http://www.r3uk.co.uk/index.php/home/36-useful-information/79-eeepc-tips-and-tricks

Compiz is nice as with transparency you can see two windows at once,
even with the Eeepc's tiny monitor. However the above link does not get
transparency working under compiz. To do this you need proper DRI
support. This requires you to install:
http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/eeepc/eeepc_3d_drivers.tgz
which was originally from:
http://tikiwiki.tuxworld.ch/tiki-index.php?page=HowTo_beryl_on_eeePC

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student, University of Western Australia