[plug] no eth0, but drivers load...

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Dec 16 22:10:49 WST 2008

Lucas van Staden <lvs at dedmeet.com> writes:

> I have an old compaq evo N400 laptop, which I had turned into a
> picture frame a few years back.  Today I decided to revamp it a bit,
> (new frame, new install)
>
> Part of the process was to remove DSL and go with Debian R4.
>
> When booting, the system detects the onboard ethernet, and load the
> e100 driver, which reports the card is fine (calls it eth0), and gives
> the mac address, and irq however, there is no eth0 device available,
> only lo.

Does the eth0 device show up if you run 'ifconfig -a' as root?

What turns up in dmesg after installing the e100 driver, or related to
the Ethernet side of things?

My guess is that it isn't configured by the system, so is present but
down, although that is a pretty wild guess at this point.

Regards,
        Daniel