[plug] no eth0, but drivers load...

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Tue Dec 16 21:48:45 WST 2008

Hi,

I have an old compaq evo N400 laptop, which I had turned into a picture
frame a few years back.
Today I decided to revamp it a bit, (new frame, new install)

Part of the process was to remove DSL and go with Debian R4.

When booting, the system detects the onboard ethernet, and load the e100
driver, which reports the card is fine (calls it eth0), and gives the
mac address, and irq
however, there is no eth0 device available, only lo.

So I tried to load eepro100 (which is also supposed to work) using
modprobe -v and it also reports the nic is fine, and prints out some
tests that is all marked as 'passed'.

Still no eth0 device

So, fortunately I have another one of the nic cards (mini-pci?) from
another evo n400 laptop and swapped it onto the board.
Same effect.

I still have the original partition where that holds DSL on it, and if I
boot to it, works fine, full network available....

So I must be missing something obvious here, just can't think what.

To note, as the pictureframe has no cdrom, and the evo cannot boot from
usb, I did the new debian install on my thinkpad laptop, having the hd
in a usb caddy.

I am sure it is this 'setup in the other laptop' that has caused my
issue, but I am not sure what.

Any pointers appreciated, as I am stumped.

-Lucas