[plug] no eth0, but drivers load...

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Dec 17 10:06:58 WST 2008

Hi All,

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:50:14 +1100
Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:

> Lucas van Staden <lvs at dedmeet.com> writes:
> > Daniel Pittman wrote:
> >> Lucas van Staden <lvs at dedmeet.com> writes:
>
> The reason you don't see it normally is that it just isn't configured,
> so isn't shown by default with ifconfig.
>
> > But now thinking about it, it does make sense, as the thinkpad
> > laptop has eth0 (wired), and eth1 (wireless), thus the 'new' nic on
> > the pictureframe will be eth2
>
> Correct: these days Debian and derivatives are careful to avoid *ever*
> giving the same device name to a new NIC, to reduce surprises.
>
> > Anyone know what I must edit to move it back to eth0, just a nice to
> > have, not crucial.
>
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
>
> Remove the obsolete eth0 entry, and replace 'eth2' with 'eth0' for the
> new NIC, and you should be good to go after a reboot.

I came across this problem as I have been installing and configuring
debian on one box, then removing the hdd and putting it into the new
box which is not identical but similar enough.

Because the network cards were different though, there was no eth0 and
it took a good couple of hours to work out why I was suddenly missing
an eth0 when it was there a few minutes ago and the driver was loading.

> (I don't actually know how to rename the NIC without a reboot any
> more. Isn't that kind of sad?  It used to be ifrename or similar, but
> they have gone away and I don't know how to trigger udev to reprocess
> the rule and rename the device for me.)

Seeings udev is in /etc/init.d/udev - would it be possible to just
re-issue a /etc/init.d/udev restart?

I know this may possibly break things though... just a thought..

Regards,

--

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services