[Fwd: Re: [plug] [Fwd: wireless card not recognised at boot]]

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 09:22:43 WST 2008

-------- Forwarded Message --------
> From: Gavin Chester <gavin.chester at gmail.com>
> To: plug at plug.org.au
> Bcc: Gavin Chester <gavin at ecosolutions.com.au>
> Subject: Re: [plug] [Fwd: wireless card not recognised at boot]
> Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 09:04:06 +0900
>
> On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 07:19 +0900, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> > On Feb 3, 2008 10:57 PM, Gavin Chester <gavin.chester at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Addendum to this post - I should have added that  also did
> > > modprobe ath_pci
> > > linuxlap:~ # ifconfig
> > >
> > > and nothing useful came of it, ie., modprobe showed nothing (not sure
> > > what to expect there) and ifconfig only showed eth0 and lo interfaces.
> >
> > Have you tried ifconfig -a? ifconfig will only show active interfaces,
> > adding -a shows them all.
> >
> > -Patrick
> >

> Thanks, Patrick. With the '-a' option it only additionally showed
> 'sit0', which googling tells me is the "generic tunnel device “sit0”".
> This fits because the first line for it says "Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4"
>
> I have given passing thought to irq conflicts defeating it operating, or
> saw mention that some lappies only offer wired or wireless, but not both
> at same time :-/. I think the latter must surely be a load of tosh (no
> pun intended!).
>
> It's just so weird because when it has "just worked" network manager has
> shown wired and wireless nics working just fine - albeit _most_ of the
> time wireless never comes up.
>
> I guess I'm trying to pick your collective brains to see if I can
> isolate whether problem lies with flaky hardware or if there is some
> software issue I'm able to test for :-/ If it's a hardware issue, I will
> have to look at getting a pc-card or usb wireless nic, I guess.
>
> Gavin

... adding another addendum here :-)

Applied wisdom, from what I've read, is to use madwifi for atheros
chipsets and ndiswrapper for all other chipsets needing windoze drivers.
Despite this, saw mention that one guy got good result using ndiswrapper
for his atheros chipset nic. Anyone got comment on that as a possible
fix?

Gavin