[plug] OT: mil spec laptop, nothing to do with linux but interesting anyway

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Mon Feb 4 21:10:52 WST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 20:43 +0900, Peter Sutter wrote:
> Enlighted ones,
>
>  It appears everything is fitted with a computer of some sort nowadays.
> Trucks, Frontend Loaders, Cars, Boats etc, all appears to be computerised and
> needs to be re-programmed from time to time, because it looses its marbles or
> goes otherwise dead.
>
> I am after a laptop, preferably in a metal case, that can withstand outdoor
> conditions like use in a thunderstorm, blizzard, desert, boat, can be knocked
> around, doesn't mind to be dropped, drenched or otherwise misused and abused,
> can run of its own batteries or if need be from 12V DC or 24V DC or 48V DC
> on-board power and lasts for a lifetime, runs 'arrrgh' windows XP. Its
> primary use is to connect to vehicle's 'diagnosis computer'  and exchange
> communications with these 'onboard' devices under 'all-weather' conditions.
> It is to be done by mechanics who understand very little of computing, but
> have the training to use the software. For them it;s going to be just another
> tool like a spanner or a hammer, that can be thrown into their toolbox and be
> left exposed to the elements.
>
> What model/make/brand do you suggest or have in mind?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

I can find refernce to two that may do the job  Panasonic Toughbook,
where some of them are ruggedised up to Mil-spec MIL-STD-810F as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughbook
http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=2482 (this link
shows a "Vehicle Mount Port Replicator Kit") and Twinhead Durabook
http://goldrushtechnology.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Product&content=1112509237282-3495&parentContent=1112226830125-0979 while http://goldrushtechnology.com.au/Text/1132313764181-3210/pC/1112226830125-0979/Notebooks talks about the
> All DURABOOK systems pass US Military and European Committee rugged
> feature standards to ensure its durable qualification. These standard
> test measurements include:
>
>       * DROP TEST - MIL STD 810F, Method 516.4, Procedure IV, 26 drops
>         of 36 inches (29 inches for all 15" DURABOOK systems) onto
>         plywood over concrete with unit off and display closed.
>       * VIBRATION TEST - MIL STD 810F, Method 514.4, Procedure I,
>         Category 10, Fig 16&17/ASTM 4169, Truck Transport 11.5.2
>         Random test, Assurance Level II.
>       * SPILL PROOF TEST - European Committee for Electro Technical
>         Standardization of IP31.

I can't tell you whether to buy one of those, but .....