[plug] Acer Aspire 4315

rennie rennie.barnett at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:23:08 WST 2008

Hi All,

I purchased one of the cheep Acer laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled that I saw
mentioned here a while ago.

I've been pretty happy with it. It basically does what is claimed without too
much fuss. My only issue is power management - both suspend and cpu
throttling are not working.

At the moment I'm trying to get the CPU throttling working but I just can't
convince the kernel it is possible.

# cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
processor id:            0
acpi id:                 0
bus mastering control:   yes
power management:        yes
throttling control:      no
limit interface:         no

.... and ...

# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/
cache/       crash_notes  microcode/   topology/

 .. gives no mention of mention of "cpufreq"

I've tried loading a couple of modules (acpi-cpufreq & speedstep*) that I
thought might help but they all give errors (device not present etc) and
don't load.

Is it possible that the Celeron CPU/chipset/BIOS does not support cpu
throttling? I assumed any notebook type hardware would these days.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what I might try next?

I'm still testing things with the suspend issue.

Regards.

Rennie