[plug] Remote desktop question

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Thu Feb 14 22:59:18 WST 2008

what is in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers?
VNCSERVERS="1:servername"
VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1024x768 -depth 16"
The above will setup port 5901

And there may be two packages around for vnc, vnc-server and vino. Both will
use port 5900 onwards by default.  I never used vino, but had vnc-server
going on redhat(Fedora). I seem to remember that I had some problems with
remote desktop when tinkering around with fedora, but it is quite a while
ago?. Found this one in my notes
http://www.g-loaded.eu/2005/11/10/configure-vnc-server-in-fedora/
May be this helps.

Peter

On Thursday 14 February 2008 22:23, Chris Griffin wrote:
> No, it seems that with Fedora it is a service called vino-server that runs
> the vnc that takes care of access on port 5900, how that gets started is
> anyones guess. I have a way forward in that I will configure vncserver on,
> say, port 5902, connect to it and then run vino-preferences to check the
> config and make sure it is setup correctly, though I did run this for some
> time while I completed the installation of this box before deployment?
> Puzzling.
>
> Thanks anyway, Peter Sutter, do I know you from way back?

Last millenium? Name rings a bell but can't place you. Alcoa? Newcrest? DEET?
I'm getting older.