[plug] Funky NFS - Subdirectory exports

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 20:17:07 WST 2008

On Jan 1, 2008 7:28 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:
> Which operating system?

Linux, Ubuntu Edgy/Gutsy on amd64 machines. Ext3 filesystem.

> You need to read up a little more on how NFS works and how NFS filehandles
> are "discovered". ISTR that there's possible issues throwing in sub-mount exports
> as the NFS server has to check each filehandle it not only in the exported FS,
> but also under the subdirectory in question, and things like hardlinks make
> things confusing.

Ok, fair enough.

> (ZFS makes this nice - mount points are cheap, so you just create lots of them..)

So in essence, I can just do a mount over /home/public using bind? Or
for example, move /home/public to /home/public.real and bind mount it
to /home/public?

Tim
--
Timothy White - Unable to stay still for too long
Linux Counter user #273956