Try wireless broadband? Re: [plug] looking for a linux-friendly isp

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Wed Jan 2 12:50:11 WST 2008

Mathieu Petit-Clair wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers, I'm having a look at the whirlpool site now.
>
> Garry wrote:
>> But you need to be careful of 3G.. Telstra has NextG, which apparently
>> is a type of 3G, but relies on a proprietary connection manager. This
>> was limited to XP last time I looked, Vista ans Mac were not supported
>> so  Linux had no show either.. Maybe that's changed...
>
> I had an occasion to try Telstra's NextG usb modem, it does work in
> Linux (at least using Debian/Sid, as of last month).  Though, the speed
> was terrible and so is the price. I was quite far from the CBD, so I
> don't know if it's always that slow.

We've trialled (Hutchison) '3' modems and NextG ones too, for both Perth
metro and regional Australia. The NextG modems have been far and away
the more popular in terms of coverage and speed. One guy was saying when
out of Preth he was getting dialup speeds out of his '3'. They're all
getting hundreds of kilobits wherever they are on the NextG - within
coverage areas of course. That might not be good enough for some, but
perfectly adequate for us.

Greg.

--
      Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955