[plug] Funky NFS - Subdirectory exports

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Wed Jan 2 20:03:34 WST 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 09:58 +0900, Timothy White wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2008 10:40 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:
> > I dunno if that kind of union type mount creates a 'proper' new filehandle
> > space for NFS..
>
> My tests show that this does. Thankfully, so it's working with "mount
> --bind" ontop of itself.

Beware you might be open to inode aliasing issues (possible file
corruption) if the files under in the bind mounted directory tree are
accessed through the bind mount and through /home. I'm not sure this
will still be an issue with the bind mount scheme your using and it may
only be an issue when the filesystems are also are being accessed via
NFS.

This is the reason, at one point, the NFS maintainer returned EBUSY when
an attempt was made to mount a directory contained within an existing
exported filesystem with different mount options.

But that change was rejected and we still have the universally expected
and potentially open to corruption behavior.

Ian