[plug] looking for a linux-friendly isp

Paul hooker at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 3 13:08:05 WST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 11:05 +0900, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Another minor annoyance is that iinet (and I presume others) VoIP doesnt
> do location services well - be wary on ordering Pizza etc.  Currently I
> believe all iinet VoIP numbers locate as central Perth, no matter where
> they are in the metro area.  When we first got the service (2006), my
> son ordered Pizza and got connected to Dominoes in Sydney! - a week ago
> it was somewhere in the Perth CBD.  I have one extension via a vpn from
> work several suburbs away - think what that does to a location service!

iiNet VOIP numbers will always map correctly onto the proper call zone
since the company uses the ADSL phone number to determine the CZ.
However, a not commonly recognised fact is that a metro call zone will
contain a number of exchanges - the Perth CZ for example extends from
Vic Park to the coast, and from Wanneroo to Spearwood (ish). Fremantle
is a separate call zone (technically a precinct, but unless you're
Telstra there's little difference between the two).

Location based services are a problem largely because number allocations
from smaller carriers sometimes aren't recognised, and can never be tied
back to an exchange. ACMA publish the number range / CZ mappings, but
no-one publishes the number / exchange mappings except Telstra. And
there's have sizable exceptions.

Hooker