[plug] using several ethernet cards problem...

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 3 22:16:26 WST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 20:51 +0900, Marcos Raul Carot Collins wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I must be using the wrong keywords searching on the internet for the problem I
> have because nothing related comes up:
>
> I setup a Debian Etch repository in a Debian Etch machine with apt-mirror
> ("the server") .
>
> I have in this server one integrated ethernet card, plus 3 other ethernet
> cards, all of them working perfectly.
>
> I have also in that server a dhcp server.
>
> If I connect a computer to any of the ethernet cards in the server, all are
> able to get an IP through the dhcp server, but only those connected to the
> integrated card are able to connect to the apache server that give access to
> the files of the Debian repository in my server.
>
> From the server I can ping any connected machine but for the added network
> cards I have to specify which card to use for ping to get an answer.
>
> I really don't know where to start to find a way that all the network cards
> behave as the integrated one in regards to serve http requests.
>
> Weird, isn't it?

Maybe not.

This is the way I see it, and I MAY be wrong, but ...

You've got a computer w/ 4 interfaces, which means 4 IP addresses.

Do all the connected computers see the same hostname? Maybe an entry
in /etc/hosts on the server for each interface to say that they are all
the same name may work. Also try defining the repository by IP address
(on the clients) may work.

HTH
RM